Thursday, April 3, 2014

Autumn on the Wind

Red fox and yellow aspen leaves - one of my favorite combinations!  This is an 11" x 11" oil on gessoed hardboard.



Autumn on the Wind (retitled "Last of Autumn")
11" x 11" oil on gessoed board

My painting surface is often untempered masonite that I buy at the building supply store. I've found the most accurate way to cut it up is using a Stanley knife and a heavy metal ruler. When painting a piece that will be floated, it is important that the corners of the board are completely square, so I use a carpenter's square to double check this before cutting.  I mark the line to be cut and with my knee on one end of the yard-long metal ruler, and my hand on the other end, I make repeated light cuts until I'm halfway through the board. Then I flip the board over and repeat the process on the other side. It's easy and accurate.  If I'm floating the painting, I sand the edges and slightly round the corners.

No comments:

Post a Comment