Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Two more landscapes for my 60/60 Challenge

I'm way behind schedule on my 60/60 Challenge (60 paintings in 60 days from life - no photographic reference).  These two landscapes are my 30th and 31st.  Just over halfway done!  I painted this first little study looking out the studio window to the hills of Eketahuna/Mt.Bruce, about 25K north of Masterton on New Zealand's North Island.  It's just a tiny piece - perhaps 4.5" x 4". Today was chilly and windy, so looking out the studio window was as close as I wanted to get to 'painting on location'.




The first piece gave me an idea of how I could 'fix' the second piece that I'd painted a few days earlier and didn't like.  I simplified it and concentrated on values.   I've noticed such a huge improvement in my little 75/75 bird studies by doing them daily, I'm hoping the same thing will happen with my on-location studies.  *sigh*  Nothing good comes easy!



The Hills of Eketahuna
10" x 8"  Oil on gessoed board

No comments:

Post a Comment