Friday, August 5, 2011

A Sapsucker for Today

This could be a Red-naped or a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  The main difference between the two is that the Red-naped has a little red patch on the back of his neck.  But I haven't painted enough detail is this little guy to show the species.

I have three big apple trees and every winter the sapsuckers enjoy the last of the apples left on the tree.  This year my trees are groaning with the weight of the apples so I'll have lots of sapsuckers this winter and possibly a bear or two in the fall.  A half-grown black bear wandered through the neighborhood a few weeks ago, possibly doing a reconnaissance?

When I first bought my house 34 years ago, I had lots of broad-tailed hummingbirds, black-chinned and rufous hummingbirds.  Then the Anna's hummers arrived - now not only do they outnumber the broad-tailed hummingbirds, but they often stay all winter.  I wondered what they ate in the winter but then  read that they're known to follow the sapsuckers, using tree sap as a winter food source. 

My house is for sale, so perhaps this autumn/winter someone else will be enjoying the apples, sapsuckers and bears.


174 - Sapsucker
7" x 5" oil study on board, unframed
$75 plus $6 shipping within the U.S

SOLD




No comments:

Post a Comment