Monday, August 29, 2011

A Crow - my second study for today

I've been working on paintings for Art for the Sangres, a one evening show (September 24th) in Westcliffe, Colorado, and having a really difficult time getting back into the swing of things.  I've been really unhappy with what I've been painting after being on a roll for months.  So what is the difference?

The only difference is that I've not been doing my morning 75 for $75 oil studies.  The studies seem to loosen me up and make me a better painter for the rest of the day.  I really hadn't stopped doing the studies - it just seems that other things were taking priority for the past two weeks.  So now I'm back to doing a little study first thing in the morning....hoping it'll make the bigger studio pieces come a little easier. 

I realized this morning that I've never painted a crow before - so this is the first.  As I was painting the study, I was reminded of the fish crows that I hear while painting on location in South Carolina.  They call back and forth to each other and sound exactly like they're having a conversation.

Crow #1:  uh - oh,  uh - oh!
Crow #2:  huh?

Crow #1: uh - oh!
Crow #2:  Oh!

The other night I watched a fabulous documentary, 'A Murder of Crows' (Netflix) about these highly intelligent birds.  It's a fascinating film that I really enjoyed.


 182 - Crow
7" x 5" oil study on board, unframed
$75 plus $6 shipping within the U.S.

SOLD









No comments:

Post a Comment