Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"The Colors of the Marsh"

I posted this painting on February 2nd before I added the heron.  I planned to add a flock of white ibis (flying) when the painting was dry.  I tried - but they just didn't work - the painting needed something big as a focal point and to tie the foreground and background together.  This is why I wait until the painting is dry before I add the bird(s).  If I don't like it, I can wipe it off the dry background and try again.  A great blue heron saved the day. 

This oil is on 20" x 20" stretched gallery-wrapped linen.  Gallery wrap means that the canvas has been wrapped all the way around the sides of the stretcher bars and is stapled on the back....so you can leave it unframed.  I use gallery wrap canvas for paintings that are framed in a floater frame.   Usually a narrow moulding, the painting appears to float within the frame, with about a 3/8" gap between the edge of the painting and the inner edge of the frame.  It's a more contemporary look that suits some of my work.  However, for some reason (probably lack of air circulation), the paint on the gallery-wrapped sides takes weeks to dry. Who has weeks to wait?  Not me....so I use a few drops of Cobalt Drier in the oil that I use to paint the sides.  It's usually dry in a day or two.

Like the other work I've been posting here for the past few weeks, this painting will be available at The Southeastern Wildlife Expo, Charleston, S.C.  February 18 - 20th.  You'll find me in the ballroom at Charleston Place.  (with Mr. Peacock and the lead pipe)


The Colors of the Marsh
20" x 20" oil on linen
(after)


The Colors of the Marsh
(before)

5 comments:

  1. Another wonderful painting .. thank goodness for the great blue heron :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I see your work, the more I just love it! I hope the show goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely addition, Adele. Best of luck next week in Charleston. I often have 'twinges' about going back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice comments. Terry, I'll miss seeing you (and your great work) in Charleston.

    ReplyDelete