Sunday, October 24, 2010

Color Study #2

This is another of the six little color studies I've done in the last couple of days.  Perhaps this should be called a 'mood study' rather than a 'color study'.  But then how do you show mood if not by color?  Perhaps value could indicate mood - such as in a low light with soft edges....but for me, mood is all about color.  I've cropped out the dark border as the glare off the dark, wet paint makes it difficult to photograph.  

I'm finding that I'm no longer interested in rendering or painting detail...been there - done that.  What I want to say can be done with fewer brush strokes.  I want to paint mood.  

This little oil, like the one in my last post, is 2.5" square on a 4" square board.  Framing these little pieces isn't going to be easy but I've decided to use a floater frame, floating the panel on an unseen square of gatorboard, leaving a 1/2" gap between the edge of the panel and the frame.  It's a simple/contemporary way of framing that fits my work.  These little oils will be shown at The Waterfowl Festival in Easton, Maryland, November 12, 14 & 14th.  You can find me in the Gold Room at the Tidewater Inn in downtown Easton.  



Color Study #2


No comments:

Post a Comment