Saturday, June 12, 2010

"The Day Sam Lost His Watch", the first piece for today

When I saw Shane's painting for today, I couldn't help but think of our goals for doing the 75 for 75 project.  His goal was to get back into oil painting.  He graduated from Art Center College of Design with a degree in illustration and earns his living as an illustrator - but his work is almost all digital.  Not that there's anything wrong with digital...he's done some great work, but he doesn't view it as permanent.   Prior to going to art school, Shane did some fabulous watercolors - then worked in oil in a class or two at Art Center...but really hasn't painted in years.

Shane asked to participate in the 75 for 75 project with me in order to force himself to paint daily.  Nothing like making a public commitment to keep your nose to the grindstone! 

I am astounded at his progress in four short weeks.  He's got the education so for him it was a matter of switching mediums from digital to oil.   At the beginning of the project, he tried different surfaces and finally found Ampersand gesso board (which is what I use).   This little painting deserves its own post.



Shane Rebenschied - "The Day Sam Lost His Watch"
$75
5" x 7"  oil on board
SOLD


To see Shane's commercial work, go to www.blot.com.  To see the sixty or so paintings we've done for our 75 for 75 project, click on this link to take you to my the 75 for 75 page on my website.  (or go to www.AdeleEarnshaw.com and click on PAINTINGS, then 75 for $75.

This project ends on June 15th...so we've got four more days to do another 12 paintings.  (wiping the sweat from my brow).  I've got to get back in the studio!

No comments:

Post a Comment