Sunday, May 16, 2010

Shane's painting for today

Shane managed to get a piece done today in spite of having three kids underfoot.  I don't know how he does it!

After trying different surfaces, Shane is using 1/4" thick masonite.  He buys in by the sheet, cuts it to size then gessos the top and sides using a small, smooth roller.   Then using a special sandpaper, he sands the gesso smooth, then tints the panel (top and sides) with a turpy burnt umber color.    As they're 1/4" thick with finished sides, his paintings can be 'floated'.

For this project, I'm using both gessoed Ampersand and some 1/8" masonite panels I've gessoed - but I prefer a rougher surface than Shane's smooth panels, so I let some of the brush marks show in the gesso.

This is Shane's piece for today.


Shane Rebenschied - "Milling About" 
$75
5" x 7" oil on panel

SOLD



No comments:

Post a Comment