Saturday, May 8, 2010

Group plein air show opening today

If you're in the area (or even if you're not) come and see the group show at the Santa Ysabel Gallery in San Diego County, opening this afternoon at 4 pm.     Santa Ysabel is a wide spot in the road between Julian and Ramona.  It's a pretty area with classic California oak-covered rolling hills, cows and poppies.  Definitely one of my favorite places to paint. 

Annie Rowley has owned the gallery for twelve or more years and has become well-known for plein air landscapes primarily of San Diego County - in fact the work for this show must be 100% plein air.  I joke that we even have to sign the painting on location.  Sadly, this year, Stan Sowinski will not be with us as he passed away a few months ago.  I learned a lot about color by looking at his work and hope I took the time to tell him this.

Joe Garcia and I have been painting in the area since last Monday.  This piece, Decommissioned, is a 9 x 12 oil of the old bridge at Bonsall.  It's done on Ampersand board - which, in spite of working on some Pintura and Raymar panels lately, still remains my favorite surface.




I completed six pieces this week, most painted in Julian.  Joe and I will be painting at the gallery at 2 pm today - along with other artists involved in the show.  I hope to see you there!

Tomorrow, I head back to Sedona in time to spend some time on Mother's Day with my son and family.  Then it's back in the trenches!  I'm looking forward to  starting "75 for $75 on the 15th.

2 comments:

  1. It was a busy week and you turned out some wonderful pieces. Looking forward to the 75 new works!

    ReplyDelete